- What is your name?
- Where do you work and what is your role/job title?
Taoglas – Chief Technical Officer
- What were the main ‘career decision’ milestones in your life so far?
Someone told me not to worry about what was going on behind the computer screen. That wasn’t gonna work for me.
- Who are the people who most influenced your career direction?
My father and my last 2 bosses.
- Does your job allow you to have a lifestyle you are happy with?
It works for me, yes.
How did you go about getting your current job?
I was a customer of Taoglas and I met the owners at various trade shows. So, word of mouth.
- Describe a typical day.
I have no typical day. One day I’m helping sales close a big deal, another I’m sorting out how our computer systems will run our business and another I’m overseeing the layout of a new lab in a new office.
- What are the main tasks and responsibilities?
My job is to build and maintain all technical factors regarding engineering in the company including engineering staff, infrastructure, processes etc. I handle whatever needs to be handled.
- What are the main challenges?
Communications across cultures, languages, time zones and translating from “how it used to be done” to “this is what we want to do now”, managing change.
- What’s cool?
Seeing my products and ideas make money and be successful. Seeing those products on the street.
- What’s not so cool?
I have to travel a lot.
- What particular skills do you bring to your workplace?
I can explain very complicated things to non-engineers so that information can be used to make decisions.
- What subjects did you take in school and how have these influenced your career path?
I have a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering with a focus on radio frequency electronics and signal processing.
- What is your education to date?
Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from the Milwaukee School of Engineering
- What aspects of your education have proven most important for your job?
All the engineering classes? Engineering economics.
- Have you undertaken, or do you plan to undertake any further training as part of your job?
I’m constantly learning new things but not in a formal class setting.
- What have been the most rewarding events in your career so far?
Hiring great people, training them and seeing them become recognized industry experts.
- What personal qualities do you have that help you in your career?
Utter disregard for “hard stuff”. My entire career is built on doing whatever everybody said was the hardest.
- What is your dream job?
No idea but this is as close as I’ve come across so far.
- What advice would you give to someone considering this job?
You don’t need to be good at math, you just need to understand what it all means.
- What are the three most important personal characteristics required for the job?
Integrity, ability to integrate lots of seemingly random details to form a plan, communications ability
- What kinds of work experience would provide a good background for this position?
Being an engineer in a design services group.
Taoglas is a 100% Irish owned, Innovative Technology Group delivering antenna products and radio frequency (RF) solutions to global brands. Taoglas is a leader in IoT antenna technology with subsidiaries and world class design, engineering and testing facilities in Wexford, Ireland; San Diego, US; Munich, Germany; and Taoyuan County, Taiwan. Taoglas works with Enterprise Ireland and the European Space Agency enabling expansion of their antenna and RF research and development center of excellence in Ireland.