- What is your name?
- Where do you work and what is your role/job title?
Taoglas USA, Mechanical Engineer
- Who are the people who most influenced your career direction?
- Does your job allow you to have a lifestyle you are happy with?
How did you go about getting your current job?
On LinkedIn, I reached out to the Irish Network in San Diego group
- Describe a typical day.
I arrive at 7am, get some coffee and check my emails and instant messages. Then I work on projects that have the highest priority or have people waiting on me to do something. There are meetings scattered throughout the day, some are walking meetings which gives us a chance to get some fresh air!
- What are the main tasks and responsibilities?
Collaborating with my coworkers to make 3D models of what they need and producing drawings. I work with manufacturers to ensure the parts can be made and are mechanically sound. I 3D print prototypes of things we are working on, I create part numbers and bills of materials, and do some concept modelling too.
- What are the main challenges?
We have a lot of projects at once, so juggling all them at the same time can be a challenge.
- What’s cool?
Modeling something from scratch, and seeing the physical part after manufacture
- What’s not so cool?
The customers sometimes, but I think that’s to be expected in all jobs!
- What particular skills do you bring to your workplace?
3D modelling and design for manufacturability knowledge
- What subjects did you take in school and how have these influenced your career path?
I took higher level maths, spanish, biology, business and home ec. They didn’t really influence me, I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I was choosing my subjects.
- What is your education to date?
Bachelors in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering from TCD
What aspects of your education have proven most important for your job?
Working in a team, hands on experience definitely, presentation and communication, math and physics
- Have you undertaken, or do you plan to undertake any further training as part of your job?
I have taken various courses and certifications to learn more and improve my skills, and I plan to continue training in areas relevant to me.
- What have been the most rewarding events in your career so far?
Becoming a full time employee, getting my first raise, having co-workers look to me for answers, international business trips, building relationships with vendors, the list could go on!
- What personal qualities do you have that help you in your career?
I’m not afraid to ask questions, I think this is so important to grow. Attention to detail, friendly, open minded, multi-tasker
- What is your dream job?
That changes every day
- What advice would you give to someone considering this job?
It is a fast-paced environment, and you have to be able to work as part of a team and find creative solutions to unique problems.
- What are the three most important personal characteristics required for the job?
Problem solving skills, willing to learn, teamwork
- What kinds of work experience would provide a good background for this position?
Definitely some machine shop experience, understanding different machines and manufacturing methods.